Overview | Guidance | NICE
This guideline covers keeping adults in care homes safe from abuse and neglect. It includes potential indicators of abuse and neglect by individuals or organisations, and covers the safeguarding process from when a concern is first identified through to section 42 safeguarding enquiries. There are recommendations on policy, training, and care home culture, to improve care home staff awareness of safeguarding and ensure people can report concerns when needed.
The guideline includes recommendations on:
- induction and training
- care home culture and management
- indicators of individual abuse and neglect
- immediate actions to take if you consider or suspect abuse or neglect
- how care home safeguarding leads and local authorities should respond to reports of abuse or neglect
- indicators of organisational abuse and neglect
See visual summaries on the recommendations for indicators of individual abuse and neglect and organisational abuse and neglect.
Who is it for?
- Care home providers, managers, staff and volunteers
- Other health and social care practitioners working with adults in care homes
- Health and social care commissioners of residential care for adults
- Local authorities and Safeguarding Adults Boards
- Adults living in care homes, their families, friends, carers and advocates, and the public